Monday, August 11, 2008

Elusive Sorrel


I have been trying for months to get a good shot of horses being ridden downtown, after someone mentioned they thought that would be unusual to see. I have especially wanted to get a picture of a horse going by the window of Ardella's Diner, and that has become a standing joke, for the many times I've missed it. Well, today when I finished breakfast, and the diner had closed down, I got in my little truck and started away, when Behold!, there was the beautiful sorrel (red) horse and rider I wanted to catch!

The horse always continues at a pretty steady walk, which I discovered is quite the moving target when you have my limited skills. The gal asked me what the photo was for as she passed by, but then she explained "He doesn't stop for anyone...." So I answered her question as she rode away. "It's for my Blaaaaaaahg! My Blaaaaaaahg!" I hollered over the sound of passing traffic, as I watched her and her horse shrinking into the distance. So I didn't get the name of the horse or the rider. I could not decide which shot to put up front here, but ultimately this one made it to Daily Photo because it shows Highway 101/Main Street at its most starkly urban self, contrasted with the horse. The other contenders are in my Overflow. And yes, for the Animoto fans, the Sorrel in Animoto.

13 comments:

Mo said...

The horse doesn't seem to mind the traffic.

Jules said...

What a hoot of a post - loved the commentary!

This is a perfect example of the joys of Daily Photo blogging!!!!

Olivier said...

voila un vrai moyen de transport écologique.

voila a true ecological means of transport.

Anonymous said...

Independent horse. Maybe the horse knows that there is a special treat when it gets through with this walk.

Saretta said...

So, are horses riding through town an everyday sort of thing?

Laurie Allee said...

I love this shot. And your commentary is fabulous.

Kim said...

Ah, the one that got away! Like fishermen with their sad tales, we have them, too!
I think in your honor I will post sometime this week my all time favorite "the one that got away" shot that I keep replaying in my mind, "If only I knew what the heck I was doing with this camera I might have GOT that one!" I know you can see the shot of that horse through the diner window so clearly. And, now, since we've seen the horse and rider and the exterior scene (eveb brought to life through Animoto no less!), I think we all can see that diner shot. I hope you bag it someday. That will be a tale to tell!
-Kim
Seattle Daily Photo

Petrea Burchard said...

Good things come to those who wait. (Velo!)

USelaine said...

I am still hopeful of getting that diner window shot, but I can't afford to eat away from my kitchen all the time! I think this horse only comes into town on weekends, and there are other riders about too. We are surrounded by farms and ranches. So, someday...

I'm tight for time this evening. Thanks for taking a look. I'll be out of town for a few days, but I'll see you when I get back.

Halcyon said...

Who needs biofuels or hybrid cars when you have a horse!

Chuck Pefley said...

Cool! Nice photo of the moving target. You got what you wanted even if the rider didn't stop long enough for more meaningful conversation.

Hope you're enjoying yourself wherever you are ... nice to be back home, by the way, after a really great trip. Thanks for tagging along :)

USelaine said...

Halcyon - I agree! I know people who name their cars, but I'd rather name a horse.

Chuck - I'm glad you made it home safe and sound. Your travel story was fun to follow.

Dina said...

What a wonderful scene!
What's the town's policy about the "road apples" the horse must leave behind?