Saturday, November 1, 2008

November Theme Day: Books


Librarians are passionate about what they do. From the first free circulating library founded in Willits a hundred years ago, to the high tech, multi-format information transmission of today, librarians are on the front line of preserving a free and democratic society. Without each citizen being able to access anything in the universe of ideas, truly reasoned decisions based on individual evaluation cannot be made. If state or commercial entities are allowed to scrutinize who is reading what, or filter the available ideas through book bans and internet extortion, then the lights are snuffed out on democracy, and even civilization itself.

In this photo, a laptop computer user accesses the vast web of information, art, and ideas in all their variety around the world, by using the WiFi signal available from within the Willits branch of the county library system. Very often, cars and trucks are parked in this lot after hours, filled with people connecting to the internet at this wireless hot spot. I hope they know about Project Gutenberg and Librivox.

On the first day of each month, City Daily Photo Bloggers, like me, participate in a new theme together. There are so many ways of seeing and thinking about books around the world. Click here to view thumbnail photographs for all the City Daily Photo Blog Theme Day participants.

17 comments:

Dina said...

Such an original way to post about "books." Long live WiFi.

Hilda said...

That's a wonderful service that your library provides! I wish I could say that we have a good public library system, but I can't — that's the reason why we have to buy the books we want to read all the time.

Thank you too for a very thought-provoking post and for providing those links. I'm out of here to check them out now.

Joy said...

A different take on the subject!

Do visit Norwich Daily Photo and find out what I have in store for this month's theme. Happy theme day! Enjoy your weekend!

joy

A Pinay In England
Your Love Coach
I, Woman

Virginia said...

Love this shot. The light is so right. Good one, E!

Petrea Burchard said...

Well said as always, Elaine.

Hilda, I'm sorry you don't have great libraries, but at least when you buy a book the author gets paid something (usually). You can feel good about that.

Chuck Pefley said...

That could be me on the road :) More than once I've purloined wifi from the closed and / or unsuspecting :)

Jilly said...

Such a different take on the day's theme and so original. Libraries are not just for books but for Wifi too, and why not? Great!

Marie-Noyale said...

I do hope the parking lot is sometimes filled with cars whose owners are INSIDE the library picking or reading a book!!
Interesting post.

Laurie Allee said...

Elaine, you're preaching to the choir with me on this one. I'm amazed at how willingly so many accept the whittling away of our freedoms -- so well illustrated through several of your links.

When I was growing up in suburban central Texas, library books introduced me to the world, to philosophies I'd never heard of, to the great poets and the radical gadflies and the esoteric ponderers and all matter of sparks to fire up my own reasoning. I shutter to think what I would have been without those books as my guides and teachers.

Great post, as always, my friend.

Jill said...

Great post Elaine. I am ever so grateful for the information that is readily available via the net. Books have a special attraction all their own, but it's the information they contain that open our minds and our world. Will a Kindle be in everyone's stocking this Christmas?

 gmirage said...

I learned using the internet in a library too back in the days (philippines). But I do enjoy browsing the original books than what's in record.

Books and database work closely together nowadays...makes me wonder, is this a sunset or sunrise?

Happy theme day!

Profile Not Available said...

Exceptionally unique twist on the theme! I am not surprised, I love your ability to go beyond the ordinary! Great thought-provoking post!

Chris said...

Great take on the theme, Elaine! I love libraries and am glad people are still using them. I think you know, but I'm doing an MFA program in creative writing, and my field study is a book-themed website:
http://nashvillewordadventures.com

Benjamin Madison said...

Yes!

raf said...

Great angle on the theme, Elaine! Thanks too for the links.

Tash said...

a pensive photo.
it's amazing & wonderful that the WiFi reaches outside.
BTW - I saw your comment to Raf on bookclubs: the 1st one I joined was that meets at the library, run by now retired librarians & open to all - but only about 15 people show up at any given month - mostly older but not only. We select more from the classics than popular fiction. Maybe a good thing to start in Willits?

USelaine said...

Thank you all so much for stopping by with theme day comments here. You bring such enrichment with your reflections and ideas. We obviously are a blogging community that is curious about the world, and different ways of seeing, and learning more and more. Thank you for everything you share.

It's been a busy weekend, with more still to do!