Monday, November 24, 2008

Parking Lot Re-Think


The Willits Post Office parking lot is notoriously difficult to navigate, consisting of four spaces facing east, and four facing west. Years ago, somebody decided to build this cinder block wall right up to the point of entrance, not imagining how soon cars need to swing around to miss hitting the vehicles parked behind them. Either all at once, or gradually, vehicles have helped to solve part of the constraint by knocking the corner of the fence down. This barrier now slopes back about three or four feet before resuming its original form. During weekdays at peak hours, you would be amazed at the dynamic maneuvering of cars and pedestrians that goes on here, in a community with a very high demand for post office boxes (thousands), in addition to the special transactions at the front counter. I'm glad I got a bike.

9 comments:

Dina said...

How 'bout I just send you a sledgehammer and finish?

Why so many POBs?

Petrea Burchard said...

My question, too. Why so many boxes? Perhaps folks living in rural spots who come into town for their mail (and a meal at Arnella's)?

This photo tells an amusing story.

Pat said...

Oh, ouch. I'm glad my car didn't do that.

Knoxville Girl said...

love this little insight into Willits! but oh geez, I'm the queen of crunching my poor auto's fender against bollards, this wall would bear my mark if I lived there. that's why I drive very old junkers.
I'd get a bike here in Knoxvegas if I had a death wish (no bike lanes. heck, no shoulders on many roads here)

USelaine said...

Dina and Petrea - As you guessed, P, I think it's from the rural outliers, as well as offering a feeling of mail security, if that makes any sense. I have a PO box because it stays stable even if I change to a different rental (which I have, once, already).

Bibi - Me too!

KG - I drive a junker as well. I have marks on the doors from people opening their doors against my truck. Nobody leaves a note; it just blends in with all the previous marks. We need more lanes and racks too.

Thanks everyone!

Susie of Arabia said...

The poor cars that made this photo possible!!!

Anonymous said...

Blog My visit for you to thank. I hear new english.

Dina said...

My village doesn't even have mail boxes at the houses. All the POBs are next to the one grocery shop. And they are no extras, so I have to share my landlord's box. Only he has the key and he forgets to check for mail very often.
P.S. Thanks for your letter.

Chuck Pefley said...

Two wheels definitely solve a bunch of access problems!