Friday, November 28, 2008

Blue Sky at Night


Mendocino county is rich with artists, and the Willits area is no exception. We have musicians, painters, sculptors, writers, actors, poets, and artisanal craftworkers of every sort, and often widely known. Blue Sky Gallery provides a retail outlet for a select few of them, with art glass, jewelery, paintings and ceramics regularly on offer. You probably don't remember that I posted their front step many months ago. That koi pond is still one of my favorite art finds.

With daylight in short supply, it turns out some of our shops are easier to photograph at night! Okay, Willits may not be Yellowknife, but still it's dark before I leave work. Today, many of these uptown Main Street businesses organized early shopping hours, because for some mysterious reason, people seem to love to shop for Christmas gifts the day after our Thanksgiving holiday. Personally, I can't imagine getting up in the dark, early hours of the morning to shop, but if you want to dive in starting at 6:00 AM this morning, these merchants will be ready to help you.

9 comments:

Dina said...

Ah yes, I've heard about America's Black Friday. I'd much rather see your closed BLUE Sky.

Hilda said...

I'd rather they stayed open til 1am!

Love the glass suns!

Chuck Pefley said...

Ick! 6 AM shopping? Blech!

This shop looks much better to me in the PM portion of any day :)

Dubai Photo Story said...

i loved that pic!!! Beautifully composed!! the light inside the shop and of course the rich colors make it such a beautiful pic.

Nice contrast...

Shopping at 6.00 am?????

Petrea Burchard said...

The folks inside look friendly. Did they know you were lurking in the dark?

The one day of the year I never shop is the day after Thanksgiving. Not even for groceries. It's too much of a zoo for me, there's never been a bargain yet that would make me brave it.

Jules said...

Black Friday was on the TV this morning. We have something similar in January in Australia - on Boxing Day - how irreverent!!!

So good to be back and thanks for your comments. The last month has been very sad. We had to rush home to be with my sister-in-law who very bravely lost her battle with melanoma not long after we got there.

USelaine said...

Dina - Until this year, I didn't even know the commercial world had a name for it!

Hilda - I'm a late night person too!

Chuck - And it is a fine shop, with this photo taken in a sensible evening hour.

W of D - I'm so glad I could capture this much of it! I think in some countries, 6 AM is normal business time, but not with me!

P - I don't think they knew at the time, but their smiles looked great. I entered no commercial establishments today either. They would have to give stuff away, and even then...

Jules - I'm glad you made it back to PNG safely, but so sad to hear the reason for your absence. My best wished to you, and the families who have endured so much this year.

Thank you all!

Tash said...

You are right about the koi pond!
The women inside seem very nice too. Wish people would shop for gifts at places like this - via the internet! (nice walnut stools & glass tumblers)

istanbuldailyphoto said...

This business how beautiful. To work Here gives you go. Greetings.