Thursday, October 23, 2008

Forever Lost


With daylight shrinking here in the northern hemisphere, I have little time after work to catch outdoor scenes. I ventured up the Highway 20 vale to find some autumn color, but didn't manage to get the kind of light I wanted. However, in one roadside turn-out, someone had placed this bleached old jaw bone on top of a low fencepost. It's about six inches long, and looks like it was a dog, from the shape of the front and side teeth.

Mendocino county is small enough that the community radio station, KZYX & KZYZ, includes lost pet announcements during much of its broadcast cycle. Sometimes pets just go for a wander, and sometimes they try to follow their owners' cars and trucks into town, but can't keep up. Unimagined hazards lurk for even the hardiest ranch dogs in unfamiliar territory.

Jawbone Jigsaw PuzzleJawbone Jigsaw Puzzle

11 comments:

Babzy.B said...

it' s little strange ...

Hilda said...

At least they don't get eaten. Still happens here every now and then, and in some other Asian countries too. ='(

Ming the Merciless said...

Weird but I bet you can sell that jawbone for a pretty penny on EBay.

I'm experiencing problems with Blogger the last couple of days. You and Eliane's message got lost and I was not able to enlarge the photo image last night.

I hope Blogger resolve the problem soon.

Laurie Allee said...

Wow, this is an intense shot. Gorgeous, Elaine. And thanks for the reminder. There are dangers for our furbabies.

Bursa Daily Photo said...

well that's something I've never come across before. Poor animal.

Anonymous said...

puzzles!

Tash said...

I thought it makes a good puzzle ... but PA's comment is much more a propos.

USelaine said...

Babzy - It's more common for us to see the skulls of deer than dogs.

Hilda - No people don't eat dogs here, but mountain lions do. And if they are killed by cars, the vultures and ravens will eat the remains.

Ming - Well, maybe someone else will try. I just left it where it was placed by someone before me. It seems almost like a memorial to an unknown life.

Laurie - Thank you. Yes, we see a lot of road kill up here, both wild and domestic.

Bursa Daily - I don't suppose you have so many animals just roaming across roads near Bursa. I hope the end was quick.

PA and Tash - A bit different than the usual. I don't think many people do them, but there it is. 6^)

Thank you, everyone.

Dina said...

Sad to think of it as a former pet.
Mountain lions, vultures--wow.

Z said...

Aw, stories such as these make me hug our cats even closer. They're strictly indoors cats (to save the song birds and other wild life) so that's one less thing to worry about. BTW, they've had a couple of chances to 'escape' but they've chosen to remain, so I think that means they don't mind being jailed.

I think I'm going to do a saffron recipe post tomorrow. Do you have the saffron buns recipe you mentioned? Come share if you do...

Jules said...

Gosh he has certainly barked his last - poor thing. Hope someone isn't still looking for him.