Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Mexican Splendor


A spectacular contingent of Mexican riders and folkloric dancers patiently waited in their appointed position for the parade to start moving. Much of their signage was not yet visible, and was in a hurry to get back to work. For this group, again, I took a number of photos I liked and found it hard to choose which one to post on Willits Daily Photo. Some others are on my Overflow blog on the post with the same name.

The more I process and vet the images from Frontier Days this year, the more I appreciate the diversity of our community. It's a small town, but also far-reaching, with so many different voluntary service groups, cultural groups, proud small businesses, and public servants/officials - all out there showing off their best selves in the parade, saying "I'm here with you, I'm a part of you". Communities around the world have their rituals, and Frontier Days is the Willits spin on that Americana. So, please bear with me, if you're interested at all, because I don't usually do a "series" of photos on this blog, and I have quite a number more of this event to offer.

10 comments:

Julie said...

Go for it! It is so different from what we have here in Australia. I love the glimpses I get into small communities.

http://plumbingthedeeps.typepad.com/sydney_eye/

Flying Solo said...

Beautifil and colorful.

Olivier said...

le costume de la mexicaine est superbe, et elle a fière allure sur son cheval. belle photo.

the costume of the Mexican is superb, and she look on his horse. beautiful picture.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Love to see a sreies of images. I agree with you about diversity of culture. It's abit ine note here on my island, and it is more than naything what I miss about the UK mainland

Knoxville Girl said...

Sometimes a series is the best way to document your community. I've been enjoying this one. Que linda mujer.

iBlowfish said...

After visited your blog, I think I should go and visit more events in my city. This is fresh idea. Good one.

Bursa Daily Photo said...

It's really great to celebrate different origins like this I think.

Hope you're coping with the heat ok!

USelaine said...

Thank you all for the series endorsement. I hope you've clicked through to the Overflow images, because the kids were cute and colorful as well. Plus, the lasso artist was warming up his moves.

We were so lucky that the heat wave we're enduring now didn't hit us until after the 4th of July! It was only in the 80s when these photos were taken.

Dina said...

Your pics allow us to share the fun and the pride. Keep them coming.
Just glad I didn't have to ride with a Mexican dress. Is she side-saddle?
There is something so special about a horse with a fancy breaststrap.

crittoria said...

Wonderful photo! I love her costume!!