Wednesday, July 16, 2008

3D Memories


I wasn't the only person with a camera at the rodeo. I saw a fellow near the arena gate with a fancy rig that held two cameras about a foot apart. I didn't give it much thought and probably assumed it was a way to get good coverage of the action. I didn't realize until the next issue of Nickel & Dime came out that he was producing stereoscope type images! Several businesses that distribute this "good news" paper had the red and blue eye window headsets for activating the effect, and they turned out great! It looks like the printer was off alignment if you don't know what's going on without the special glasses. Craig Gardner was the wizard-photographer, but he doesn't list a website. You can enlarge this photo for contact information. This was shot at a table in J.D. Redhouse after I'd already cleared my tasty dish of raspberry ripple ice cream. Next time, I'll share.

11 comments:

Benjamin Madison said...

Well, I suspect this is a CDPB first, a post in 3D. I just got out my 3D glasses (been saving them for years for a chance like this) and voila, it works online too. Very exciting - especially that aggressively charging baby

USelaine said...

Benjamin - You're kidding me! Really? I hope I don't get in trouble for this. I better contact him...

Thanks for trying it out - that's so cool!

Anonymous said...

Nice photo and lots of information. I would love to have saved my glasses just to see this paper.

Olivier said...

les vieux films en 3D, c'était vraiment très kitsch. Dernièrement la mairie d'Évry a éditer une carte postale en 3D, c'était très fun.

old movies in 3D, it was really kitsch. Recently the mayor of Evry has edited a postcard in 3D, it was very fun.

Ming the Merciless said...

Interesting 3D effects from Mr. Gardner there. I bet the photos look great with those glasses on.

What? No ice-cream to share?

Profile Not Available said...

These are cool! My daughter is digging through her stuff right now for a pair of glasses for me to try out! Will let you know how it goes!

Profile Not Available said...

IT DOES WORK! That baby looks like it is going to reach out and grab someone. The rider with the flag is good too.

VERY COOL!

USelaine said...

Hah! For those of you who have the special glasses, click on the link to the Nickel & Dime, then click on their link to "more 3D images" (or similar), and you'll get a much better reproduction of all these. Gunfighters, barrel racers, clowns, the works. *hee-hee*

Benjamin Madison said...

Thanks for the link to more 3D. Excellent. Everything else is going to seem flat and pallid from now on....

Knoxville Girl said...

I have no 3D glasses. Or raspberry ripple. zut alors. But I still have my dignity. =:-O

Tomate Farcie said...

Rodeo pics in 3D? This must be quite a sight!

I didn't notice the limitations of my point-and-click camera until I went to the Rodeo a couple of months ago at the Cow Palace for the Grand National (I think). The combination of being too far, trying to shoot at things going way to fast, in bad light, well all that produced pretty bad shots. I suppose I could always tell people they are 3D pictures? ;)