Sunday, June 22, 2008

Fire Break

This news is big for me, small for most of you. On Friday and Saturday, Mendocino county got hit by a bunch of "dry storm" lightning, with as many as 90 fires counted here by the combined emergency agencies. The biggest is now reported as involving 1400 acres, and currently threatens very few homes, and which is nowhere near contained. But one of the homes threatened is my Mom's. From what she told me earlier today, the crews have staged part of their fight on her north hill field, the highest point on the ridge. Bulldozers have cut wide firebreak lanes through the property and beyond. We hope her house will be saved, but she has evacuated voluntarily. All we can do is wait, and hope there is enough manpower and equipment for the crews to succeed in their battle safely.

I've had hit and miss luck with the Blogger Scheduler, but I'll be loading in some posts just in case I'm away from my computer for a while.

7 comments:

Lessie said...

90 is quite a bit. I hope the efforts to steer the fire away from your Mom's home are successful.

Benjamin Madison said...

Hope all goes well. Best wishes.

Kym said...

I'll be keeping your mom and you in my thoughts. Hope all goes well and may the firefighters be safe, too.

Olivier said...

j'espere que tout cela va aller mieux, de tout cœur avec toi.

I hope that everything will get better, any heart with you.

Knoxville Girl said...

Thinking of you and your mom - hope all goes well. Please keep us posted.

Dina said...

Oi oi oi, very bad news. We pray and wait to hear only good news from you.
With our heat wave of the last week came many brush fires, even some big ones just over the next ridge. Helicopters and planes were helping to fight.

Louis la Vache said...

Uselaine, the smoke from those fires has drifted south and has covered the Bay Area since Sunday.

I'm posting this after your later posts - I'm happy to read that you and your Mom are OK.

* * * *

You've had trouble with Blogger scheduler,too!? Blogger and the Mac OS aren't getting along well, either. There's a bug in Blogger that causes Safari or Firefox to crash when you're doing anything in Blogger. I thought it was just on my Mac, but I went to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store in Walnut Creek and they got browser crashes in Blogger on 6 of the 6 Mac we experimented on in addition to my own Mac.