Thursday, April 10, 2008

Drifters in Recreation Grove


Willits is one of the few places, like San Francisco, where Federal Highway 101 still goes right through town. Travelers from points south, like Santa Rosa, going to points north, like Eureka, all funnel through our main street with its four traffic signals. That's my theory of why we have so many young drifters, with their backpacks and dogs and skateboards, stopping to stay a while in the shelter of Recreation Grove, with its stage for sitting and sheltering from the rain. Sometimes more than a dozen will congregate here, especially in the colder months when residents aren't using it so much for events and parties.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed taking a look at your photography post today. The narrative is nice.

Abraham Lincoln in Brookville, Ohio.

USelaine said...

Thanks Abraham!

Petrea Burchard said...

Good job of getting this shot. I'm always so timid at shooting people. Gotta be a bit sneaky and get 'em from behind.

USelaine said...

Yeah. I try not to put anyone on the spot. Looks like I over-adjusted the light on this one. I'll learn.

Petrea Burchard said...

It looks good to me.