Thursday, March 12, 2009

CWR Water Tank


This old, wooden water tank still stands at the ready along the old California Western Railroad (the Skunk Train) tracks just as they head west to Northspur and Ft. Bragg far beyond. As you cross the tracks on Highway 101, look east and you'll see it. There's a pipe mechanism that extends out to go above the tender tank, to refill any steam locomotive awaiting in need.

No news on whether the Skunk will run more frequently out of Willits this year or not. All of the events posted on their website right now are out of the Ft. Bragg depot. The coast end of the line gets far more tourism business than we do, so it's easy to imagine Willits will get the short end of the stick in this economy. The Ft. Bragg depot and trains have been featured in Racing With the Moon and, I think, The Majestic.

7 comments:

Ron Bloomquist said...

I am really enjoying your reporting about items in and around Willits. We have a water tower like that in Fort Bragg at the Skunk Depot but I think the spout is missing. I better go take a closer look!

Anonymous said...

Another good photo Elaine. You seem to be finding a lot of stuff that recently I've had my eye on as well. Great mind think alike I guess. ;)

Glad you referenced Racing with the Moon. That is by far my favorite film of all time.

Petrea Burchard said...

Another one of your beauties, Elaine. Didn't you show us that round yellow sign before, too? Willits has a laid-back, unself-conscious charm, I believe. That's what I'm getting from you.

Kris McCracken said...

I hope that it isn't filled with molasses.

USelaine said...

Ron - This is the penultimate report, at least on a daily basis, but thank you so much. I'll look for your evidence on the Ft. Bragg tank.

Eric - Racing With the Moon is an early-day gem of some up and coming actors. I need to look at it again soon myself.

P - You spotted that yellow signal sign! It's a good place, with well-meaning people trying to meet the challenges of the future in a responsible way. It doesn't get any better than this.

Kris - Interesting thought. I'm not sure who I should ask about that to confirm.

Thank you, all!

Petrea Burchard said...

It is as I had guessed then.

Anonymous said...

Petticoat Junction! (the girls are hiding in the tower and will pop out later)